Thursday, April 8, 2010

Christ-Community: Come Unity [Ongoing Thesis Maybe]

This is my first pass at defining the Christ-Community as I’ve been searching for lately. I’m sure some brilliant person has already written a good book on this [and others not so brilliant have written not so good]. I have difficulties writing after reading how someone else said it quite perfectly already. So here’s my layman’s [or lame-woman’s] go at it.



+++

[From www.merriam-webster.com/ ]



Main Entry: com•mu•ni•ty

Pronunciation: \kə-ˈmyü-nə-tē\

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural com•mu•ni•ties

Usage: often attributive

Etymology: Middle English comunete, from Anglo-French communité, from Latincommunitat-, communitas, from communis

Date: 14th century

1 : a unified body of individuals: as a : STATE,COMMONWEALTH b : the people with common interests living in a particular area; broadly : the area itself c: an interacting population of various kinds of individuals (as species) in a common location d : a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society e : a group linked by a common policy f : a body of persons or nations having a common history or common social, economic, and political interests g : a body of persons of common and especially professional interests scattered through a larger society

2 : society at large

3 a : joint ownership or participation b : common character : LIKENESS c : social activity : FELLOWSHIP d: a social state or condition

+++



That is a lot of definition. I think I’ll do this: I’ll say which ones may or may not apply. I’m definitely going to need a few entries to get through this Christ-Community “thesis.”



I would say that in my mind the community “is a unified body of individuals as an interacting population of various kinds of individuals with a common characteristic living together within a larger society, linked by a common policy, scattered throughout society.”



Well, at least that’s a start.



To add the “Christ” part of it, the unifier would be “a belief in the Triune God.” This is to distinguish the Christ-Community as being Christian. I know, people define “Christian” in different ways so I’m not sure that is a sufficient distinguishing attribute.



Off the top of my mind I would say that the common characteristic would be “brokenness” and that the common policy is “love.” Now, we can’t know why another person is broken but if we can constantly be aware that each person, we all, every one, is broken, that’s the next step. Then “love,” another sticky one to define. So that you at least know where I’m going with the “love” policy, I will simply cite 1 Corinthians 13 [look it up].



How am I doing so far? I know, I couldn’t sleep so I decided to lay some of this down since I keep mentioning it.



I think that’s good for Session Intro. The interesting part will probably be trying to tie together the idea of “living together” while being “scattered throughout society.” And again, the “love” section.



Any questions/comments?