Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Big Surprise, Little Surprise, No Surprise


James 1: 16-18
16Don't be deceived, my dear brothers. 17Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.
____________________________

So the past week or so has been about surprises I have received.

The first one was HUGE.

I was having a dark episode when I got a call from one of my favorite people in the world, Apple. I texted back that it was not a good time for conversation.

Fighting back self-isolation, I was on AIM. Cynic IM’d me and that always makes me feel better! He always calls me “Sweetheart” or “Gorgeous” or something similar. As I was getting ready to go to sleep, he asked for my phone # which hasn’t changed since I’ve known him. I told him I wouldn’t answer that night but he called and left a voicemail anyway. I wish I could bottle his message. He said that he’s expecting great things from me and that he thinks of me often, that I am his rock! Come on, how can that NOT make someone feel better? I still cried myself to sleep.

And that set me up in a good mood for Apple. She texted the next day that she was in town and wanted to surprise me. Surprise!!

What?!! This was a GREAT surprise! So we texted back and forth until we settled on hanging out that night.

I picked her up and we went out for dessert- Tutti Frutti! And then to her house for some Vancouver Winter Olympics with [her] Mom. : ) We did nothing really special, but a well-tried and tested friendship like ours needs little frills.
____________________________
This next one wasn’t really a surprise. A friend whom I hadn’t seen since high school came for a visit. The surprise for me was in her wanting to see me and that I got to meet her husband. It sounds strange, but I am always amazed when people will remember me kindly or want to see me.

We went for dinner at a Thai restaurant. All three of us being quiet people, we had a good time of good conversation! I don’t remember seeing Biologist smile so much back in school and so it was great to see her smiling a lot and laughing this time! : )
____________________________
Then yesterday, I’m mostly tucked away in my sparse cubicle, quiet as usual. On my way to refill my water bottle, I ran into someone I hadn’t thought of in a while, someone unexpected. He was delivering drawings to the office. He’s thinking of going through the 2-year intensive arch course at the university; maybe we’ll get to talk about that another time. Seeing Artist always puts a smile on my face! It wasn’t for a full minute even but I feel joy from it. : )
____________________________
And I just think, even the small things like bumping into Artist, all of that were gifts from God, reminders of how good and faithful He is, even though I’ve been whining to Him recently. I really needed things to truly smile about. It’s no surprise that God is good.

What have you smiled about recently? Do you see it as a gift from God?

Mahalo for reading.