Thursday, December 18, 2008

You Can Always Come Home

I was probably about 8th or 9th grade. Dad and I were talking about something; I don’t remember about what exactly but we have that kind of relationship where we can pretty much talk about anything.

Dad said to me, “You can always come home. No matter what you do, I want you to come home.”

I hadn’t thought about that in years.
___________________________

It was a point in the Bible lesson this week as our guide took us through the book of Ezra, pointing out the various things within it. I always feel like I’m gonna butcher the message as our guide lays it out for us wonderfully but within Ezra is a story of how the people had come to a time when they did not know that they were sinning. Their sin is made known to them; they repent and go through the difficult process to make themselves clean before God.

In their repentance, we read in Ezra 10:2 Shecaniah saying, “But in spite of [their sin], there is still hope for Israel.”

One of the things that I heard in the lesson was that no matter what I do, God wants me to come home to Him. I need to be reminded of this from time to time. I can be so sensitive to the wrongs I’ve done, so consumed with guilt that I miss hearing God say, “You can always come home. I already know about it and I want you to come home.”

God offers the same to you; He wants you home.
___________________________

Back to the personal, my dad might never know how much those words meant to me. To a child whom is sensitive to guilt so much so that she has punished herself at times, knowing that I always have a home is a relief.

Most of my friends did not get along with their parents or they just didn’t want to go home though they could. I’ve had friends drop in during the middle of the night and stay over. A few times, friends would come and we just hung out until they were ready to go home.

Just recently I listened to a friend tell me about a period of his life when he did not go home; I am so grateful for my home and the relationship I have with my parents. Given different parents, there’s a good chance I would be…who knows where really.

I have no children [yet…?] to pass the offer to, so I wanna talk to my friends out there. On a slightly different note, no matter our past, no matter where our relationship is currently, whatever may come in our future, let’s “come home” to each other. Let’s work things out; I know I will be hoping for this. As Apple reminds me, “Friendships that are tested are the ones that become stronger”; the friendship Apple and I share is VERY strong! :D I want stronger friendships!

I'm trying to be careful with how I say this next part. To those I know personally: if you need a safe place, there’s not much room in the house but there’s room; there are certain rules in place, especially for male guests. Or we can just hang out until you've had enough time. Others have done similar for me in the past. I am blessed with what I have.

Mahalo for reading!