Friday, November 21, 2008

Long As God Can Grow It!

Gimme a head with hair, long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there, hair!
Shoulder length, longer
Here baby, there mama, Everywhere daddy daddy

Hair!
Flow it, Show it;
Long as God can grow it, My Hair!

They'll be ga-ga at the go-go
when they see me in my toga
My toga made of blond, brilliantined, Biblical hair
My hair like Jesus wore it
Hallelujah I adore it


That’s some of the lyrics to “Hair,” a musical about the 60s.

Anyways, my hair has been the longest it has ever been in my life! The length was at least to the middle of my back. It took about a year, with a few trims in between, to grow that long. I hope I did an okay job taking care of it. I was starting to feel like I could start doing that toga line from the song soon!

And now it’s gone.

Sort of. I was growing it out for a purpose and now Phase I of my little project has been completed!
___________________________
[I've used this pic before but you can kinda see how long my hair was getting. I know, I shoulda gotten a pic from the back.]

The long hair was getting ridiculous! I generally keep my hair about shoulder length. When I worked at F21, I cut my hair short and my co-workers remarked at how brave I was. Another time, Apple and I were sitting at the mall when a lady came up to us and offered us free haircuts. That was cool; she was a student but with prior experience at the salon down the hallway. She needed to practice those really short short cuts, so I went short short. It felt strange at first, but it looked good!

And I’ve watched a few makeover shows where they want the lady to cut her hair and the lady goes into fits and crying ‘cuz she doesn’t want it cut! Ridiculous, hair grows back.

This past season of LONG hair started to annoy me. The hair was getting stuck under the straps when I carried a shoulder bag; I wasn’t comfortable lying down on the pillow and when I would try to rollover, I couldn’t ‘cuz I was on my hair; I’ve never used so much shampoo, conditioner, styling products [what are those?]! I liked HAVING the long hair, but not really having to spend so much time on it!

I was gonna go to a professional salon to do this recent cutting. I figured I would treat myself a little for having taken care of the hair and not having had a good haircut in awhile. Apple had tried this salon place and was very happy with the experience. It’s a partner school where a student cuts the hair under the supervision of an instructor. Well, why not?

I wanted to have it cut on Monday but Ulupono isn't open that day. I went on Tuesday.

Jessica cut my hair. She took off 12 inches! I was surprised I still had length left. I thought it was gonna be super short again. She did a good job. She said that I did good ‘cuz sometimes people say they wanna go short and then back out or cry or something.

Overall, a good experience. Now for Phase II….

Mahalo for reading!


For more info, go to: Ulupono Academy
[and services are discounted since it’s being done by students= bargain]