Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Spending Splurge Sunday

I am not much of a shopper at all. I do not frequent malls nor do I enjoy crowds, long lines, etc. On top of that, I am more of a saver than a spender, but every so often, I am just in the mood.



This past Sunday, I gradually got in the mood. It started by purchasing a necklace from a lady at church whom had just returned from a mission in Africa. It is an amber cross necklace made by women working to rise above poverty. Amber was used to purchase slaves so as Janet explained, it is a kind of redemption that the women are now using the amber to help themselves break that system, to purchase their freedom. Janet says that the crosses are Ethiopian Coptic crosses. PLEASE read the messages in the following photos for more information.



___________________________

After church, I caught whatever bus came next which happened to be going to Pearlridge. I strolled through the mall, waiting for Mom to pick me up after lunch. I was looking for something but didn’t find it in the store I thought would have it. I went to Hot Topic; I hadn’t been inside the store in years maybe. One of their shirts stood out to me. It read: TO WRITE LOVE ON HER ARMS. Again, read the message in the photo for more info, at least check it out. [I would also say to look on the inside]. HT has the shirt in white, pink, black and green. I picked up a pink one. I like the concept. I like the cause.



Another nice purchase that day was a $7.50 pair of sunglasses for $3. And…they look good on me. I think. They are red.

So I have this weird thing that I apparently like buying sunglasses but tend to forget to wear them. I control the situation at the moment by buying cheap pairs. Okay, that’s also because I believe I have a tendency to break things. I had about 10 pairs at one time but seeing as how I hadn’t worn any in…years, I donated most of them to somewhere. Sad, I know.
___________________________

So it was a “splurge” in the definition filter lens of Jennifer. The total [including lunch] was under $75. The most expensive item: the amber necklace.

Somehow, shopping actually made me feel better that day. That almost never happens to me.

Mahalo for reading!