Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Chill Out, Babe!

We need a new fridge. Seriously. The perishables are perishing quicker than they should. The icemaker’s broken, though that’s not a big problem; we’re okay with doing the ice-tray thing. The freezer’s leaking into the fridge. 20+ years is a good life for a fridge, right?

Who knew there was so much to learn about fridges these days? We didn’t know where to start or what to look for. Mom started by deciding that she wants a side-by-side. I’d prefer not to have the ice-dispenser through the door but one, my opinion doesn’t matter much ‘cuz it’s not my fridge, and two, it seems to be standard on side-by-sides now. It’ll cost more if we really want one without it.

Another thing we want is for the fridge to be Energy Star approved. I don’t think I need to explain why. Moving on.

At first, Dad didn’t want the back-mounted shelves, but then we finally found a salesman who seems very knowledgeable about his products. He said that the back-mounted ones are sturdier mainly because the mounts are metal. I guess we’re okay with that now.

Mom also wanted a Maytag because it seems to be a good brand and our washer/dryer are Maytags; we’d only hafta call one repairman in case. I don’t think that really matters ‘cuz any repairman in Hawai‘i should be acquainted with more than one brand. The same salesman who told us about the mounts said that Whirlpool bought out Maytag. After that we started looking at Maytags and Whirlpools. Mom likes the PUR brand of water filters because...well, and the Whirlpools use PUR filters.

We looked at several appliance stores. Lowe’s has a lot of models on the floor so that was nice. Whirlpools have this new feature called In-Door Ice Maker. We like that.

As to the door ice-dispenser particulars, we don’t care what it looks like or what it actually does.

The situation’s getting desperate. Our current fridge is threatening to break down altogether. We’re trying to eat up the things in the freezer and fridge as much as possible and then hopefully we’ll get a new one soon!
___________________________

Since we were in the appliance section, I walked around a little to look at other stuff. Washing machines, ohmigoodness! It’s no longer hot, warm or cold. It’s hot-hot/hot-medium/medium-medium/medium-cold/cold-cold. There are settings for everything under the sun, it seems: cotton, mixed, silk, polyester, etc. Too many buttons and knobs for me.

I’m still in the colors/whites, hot/cold phase. Besides separating the colors and whites, I just throw everything in and my stuff still lasts long. I don’t appreciate appliances making like they’re smarter than me.

Mahalo for reading!