Friday, May 2, 2008

Talk About a Hypocrite!

I’ve been looking for a starting point to what I want to talk about and I finally got it. Obviously I have a lot on my mind. I want to talk about so many things but organizing them or keeping on track is not easy. This is a personal blog and so I have more liberty in what I say than say a news blog or a blog through a ministry, but I still want to be as clear as I can be for you, my reader. I don’t want to just be talking out of my rear end. I could, but I don’t think you’d enjoy it as much and it can get smelly, I’ll admit.

Anyways, I got my starting point from good friend Jules, from her comment on the previous entry [Our Response Should Be]. It’s a good comment about it being very offensive to us Christians that Oprah claims to be a Christian and yet confusing people, Christians included, and leading people down a dangerous path. I guess it is most offensive because Oprah has such an enormous influence over a huge amount of people. Not to say that people aren’t intelligent, but I do believe a good number of people have given up thinking for themselves in favor of Oprah’s opinions.

But enough about Oprah. I wouldn’t be credible if I didn’t get introspective about my own Christian walk. To be clear, I believe in the doctrine of Christianity which includes the deity of Jesus, the Christ, and that Jesus came to die on the cross for my sin [and everyone’s sin]. Jesus is the only way to God. He said it himself in John 14:6:

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
___________________________

However, Jules’ comment reminded me of how offensive I can be to God when I do not live as a Christian, how the way that I live and the things I say and do can be confusing to others and lead them astray. And I apologize to those out there whom I have confused. I don’t have the influence that Oprah has, but I know people are looking at the way I live.

The Christian life is not easy. In certain ways, it is much more difficult than the life of the atheist. We expect the atheist to do what he wants. We expect the Christian to be perfectly good, doing what God wants. Each is in accordance with what they believe; the atheist believes he can do what he wants, the Christian believes that he is to be holy as Christ himself is holy [1 Peter 1:15, 16].

But even the Christian is not perfect; we were born into sin and we retain our sin nature even after receiving the Holy Spirit. We are caught here on earth, waiting for the promise of Heaven, yet only God knows our individually appointed time to enter into Heaven. In Heaven, we will be perfect and in His presence, but not till then, not here on earth and so we wait. While we wait, we are to be a living testimony to His goodness and grace, yet with our sin nature.

I didn’t say all of that in order to let myself off the hook for any wrong doing. I have a sin nature but in my knowledge of God’s grace and His strength, I can overcome sin. I am called to be holy, to turn away from sin.
___________________________

Okay, I got my starting off point, but I’m still not sure what I want to say or how to say it. I think the main thing I wanted you, the non-believer and the believer, to know is that I recognize that I have done wrong, many wrongs. They might be too numerous to go through right here, but I have asked for and received God’s forgiveness. I hope that you might forgive me also for the times that I was un-Christian. And to say that I am on the path to building up a strong foundation to do better from here on. Some things I did not knowing that they were sins, but I do not want to claim ignorance; I do not believe one can be released of responsibility by being ignorant. I have a thirst for Truth and I hope you do also.

Please pray that I will be strengthened and bold in my faith. Be sure that you are in my prayers as well.

And yesterday was the National Day of Prayer. I thought, oh no, I didn't mention it in the entry, but then I was asking people to pray. At least it related?

Mahalo.


___________________________
Note: I wanted to add this because it gnaws on me! Oprah has said that she doesn’t believe that there’s only one way to God, that with so many billions of people on the earth, there’s many ways to God. However, by that statement, for herself, she’s taken away truth, that there’s right and wrong, good and evil, she’s taken away any reason for any faith, and she’s bought into the religion of Tolerance. It all sounds very nice to say that everyone’s going to Heaven; I wish that were true.

Understand this, either all religions are false or one religion is true; they cannot all be true. I got that from several programs, including the Bible Answer Man and Apologetics.com podcasts. It does not matter how many people are on the earth, truth is true. By reasoning, the men who flew into the World Trade Towers are in Heaven, they are with God, according to Oprah. After all, that was their way to God. And if all beliefs were equal and valid, then why believe at all? It sounds to me that by Oprah’s standard, we are allowed to live however we want and that’s enough.

Hmmm… I hope that got one thinking. Please listen to the specific podcast episodes I linked to in “Work It Out, Babe!” Actually, I’ll link them here again and include the BreakPoint's review of the book and an article by Hank Hanegraaff answering the question “Don’t all religions lead to God?”


Podcast Episodes:
Apologetics.com- “Oprah Winfrey, Eckhart Tolle and the Replacement of Christianity”
Bible Answer Man- “Questions and Answers” for 04/09/08, Wednesday
BreakPoint-- "Same Old Earth, New Disguise"
Hank Hanegraaff article: "Don't All Religions Lead To God?"


*Note: whenever one downloads from OnePlace.com [in this case, for the Bible Answer Man episode] and it says “free with registration,” the registration is not a sign up for extra emails or newsletters and such. The registration is only one single email that sends the link(s) for the particular download that one wants in case one doesn’t have time to download the file right away but wants to remember to do it later. There are no requests for money or Bible tracts or demands that one believes in any faith. One doesn’t have to download at OnePlace; one can listen to episodes for free through their site.