Saturday, April 26, 2008

Nothing Campy Here


“Campy” brings National Lampoon movies to my mind. Jeremy Camp’s music is not that at all. I said I liked his first album; I like his second album even more. As on Stay, Camp wrote all of the songs on Restored, with help from Lajoie on “Lay Down My Pride.” Camp is still a Christian and Camp still rocks.

The music is good, but what I like more about Camp is that the words are just as good. A lot of times I like a song for the music and don’t care for the words at all but that has never been the case with Camp so far. So, here are more lyrics from just a few of the songs that I enjoy from the album:

“Restored”
All this time I’ve wandered around
Searching for the things I’ll never know
I’ve been searching for this answer that
Only will be found in Your love

And I feel it, my heart is being mended by Your touch
And I hear it, Your voice that’s shown my purpose in this world

You have restored me
From my feeble and broken soul
You have restored me



“Take You Back”
The reason why I stand the answer lies in you
You hung to make me strong though my praise was few
When I fall I bring your name down
But I have found in you, a heart that bleeds forgiveness
replacing all these thoughts of painful memories
But I know that your response will always be

I’ll take you back always
Even when your fight is over now
I’ll take you back always
Even when the pain is coming through
I’ll take you back

You satisfy this cry of what I’m looking for
And I’ll take all I can and lay it down before
The throne of endless grace now that radiates what’s true
I’m in the only place that erases all these faults
That have overtaken me
And I know that your response will always be

I’ll take you back always…


“Take You Back” is one of my favorite songs, I’ll say…top 25 at least. I can definitely relate to struggling with something or I’ve done something wrong. In those times, I am very prone to dwelling in my guilt, because I do have a high standard set for myself. And I’ve thought, who’s gonna like me now, how can anyone forgive what I’ve done? This song reminds me that no matter how low I feel, I can come to Jesus, leave it all at the cross. Even if we can’t find forgiveness from men, we can find forgiveness from God through Jesus. “Restored” is the aftermath of coming to Jesus; I’ve been there too. Actually, I’m there right now; I struggled last year, returned to leaning on God’s strength, and I feel restored.

Speaking of returning to God, take a look at the chorus of “Lay Down My Pride”:

Lay down my pride
My desires, my demise
I’m ready now to see it your way
I’m done, I’m through ignoring you now, it’s true
I’m kneeling at the cross of your grace
Lay down my pride


The times of struggling have been times that I have tried to ignore God, ignore what is true, what is right. It’s not a way of living that I would recommend. When I have tried to do things my way, try to make up what is true for myself, it can be disorienting and disappointing and worthless. What happens is that I eventually come to understand that if I make up what is true, then I can change what is true into what is false and make that a new true, and there is no stability in that. In contrast, God does not change. Truth doesn’t change. I didn’t make that up and so I’ve found it to be true every time.

Once again, it’s plain that I like the music of Jeremy Camp. The songs I mentioned above are only a sampling. On my IPod are never less than 5 Camp songs and currently there are 8 Camp songs [I have only one song for most of the artists on there]. So, if one liked Stay, more than likely one’ll like Restored; it doesn’t disappoint.

Next up: Live Unplugged: Jeremy Camp and Beyond Measure.

Mahalo.