Thursday, February 14, 2008

As You Wish


Happy Valentine’s Day!

Yes, the title is the line made most famous by Cary Elwes as Wesley in The Princess Bride. Wasn’t that a great movie? My friend Blank Slate quotes often and so I’m supposed to try to develop that talent. I’m better at paraphrasing and I often forget who said what or where it came from. Anyways, yes, I have strange nicknames for my friends but they make perfect sense to me. Blank is another Chris and so a nickname is necessary.

Got any big plans for today? I hope it’s to show the people you love how much you care. I will be sharing the day with Mom, Dad, my cats, and Big D. Not quite a romantic day, but I’m sure there’ll be some in the future. I wish I was having Valentine’s Day with the UH Warrior Volleyball players as they hit the court against UCLA tonight! I will be watching from home and shouting at the TV like the madwoman that I am…when they have a good match going on. I know, I’m scaring the neighbors, but that’s okay.

I don’t know that I’ve ever had a real valentine on Valentine’s Day. I remember everyone having to give each other cards in elementary. My high school had those candy-grams, I don’t recall ever receiving one. When I was at WU, we’d round up some single friends and spend Valentine’s together, that was good fun.

And I don’t know how much it counts but I did have a phone valentine. I was seeing this guy and I had to work late on Valentine’s Day Night, so we spent it over the phone. And he asked me to be his valentine. Does that count?

I look forward to having romantic nights in the future, I love doing things for someone else and miss that part of a relationship. For now, I love being single, I get to do what I want! I don’t like being in a relationship just to have someone but when the right someone comes along, I’ll be all for that too. I used to watch my friends go from relationship to relationship and then realize later that they didn’t know who they were. Or they were in the relationship just to not be alone on a day like this, but then they weren’t really happy any other day with the other person.

I didn’t mean to write so much. I’ll leave it here.

Mahalo for reading in!

Pictures:
Above: Haleakala 1996

A young lover from the start.

The loving family. [It lasted about a day, kidding!]

I think I like this one because it describes me somewhat, 'somebody's gonna get hurt!'

And finally, flowers for you, my reader.